Tuesday, April 29, 2014

RAVE: SmartPhoneMate

Hit the "Post data now" button four times daily
to get your monthly Php50 prepaid load
This app gives you free load credits and Groupons!

Only users of Android, BlackBerry, iOS, and Symbian (S60 3rd ed. onward) can participate. Available in the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, China, India, Indonesia, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Qatar, South Africa, US, UK. Incentives: Monthly prepaid mobile top-ups, Amazon and Groupon coupons. Click here to see details for your country.

It surprises me that so many Manilans have not yet heard of SmartPhoneMate. Or maybe Manilans are just so jaded that they think this app is too good to be true: Free prepaid load or Groupon coupons each month? No way, right? Way.
The catch? You have to install a research app that will log your smartphone behavior. That’s the reason I only use it on a backup phone. To be fair to SmartPhoneMate, they have not done anything to cause my phone to lag or change in any way.

It used to be that you could just keep the app running in the background on the rare occasions you stumble onto free Wi-Fi around the metro. That’s how I got around Php100 worth of free load last year on each of my two Sun phones during the same month. (Yes, sadly, I have two Sun numbers–and two Smart numbers spread across multiple gadgets. No Globe. Yet.)

But the SmartPhoneMate guys have caught up with tech-savvy Filipinos and are now stricter. Here are their terms and conditions. Check out numbers 2 and 7.

1. You need to have active GPRS/data plan throughout the participation period.
2. SmartMeter must be active on your mobile for 20+ days in a calendar month.
3. Participants must click on the SmartPhoneMate icon as well as restart their mobile device twice daily.
4. Participants must not change SIM / handset
5. Participants must participate in a Monthly Survey. (I have never participated and yet I get my monthly top-up.)
6. Participants must share their complete & correct demographic profile.
7. Active participation implies we receive notifications to our server 4 times daily for a period of at least 20 days in a calendar month.
8. Participation in calculated on a calendar month basis and Incentives are processed by first week of next month.
9. You consent to receive SMS/Email/Notifications/Alerts from SmartPhoneMate. (irrespective of your NDNC/DND status)

If you use multiple phones that are traceable to you, you will get a call from SmartPhoneMate. A lady with a Chinese accent called me to verify my details. After that, I decided not to be so greedy (and not give myself a headache over Php50!). I unsubscribed all my other gadgets from the service.

But I still enjoy Php50 free load credits on my Sun phone every month. You could too. Visit http://smartphonemate.mobi/ph/ to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment